More Short Stories by: Dr. Dennis L. Siluk, Ed.D. (2007-2016)

From one of the top 100-reviewers, at Amazon Books, International (the largest book seller in the world), by Robert C. Ross, the list author says (reference to the book, “Peruvian Poems”): "Dennis L. Siluk is enormously prolific and very well travelled…." The poems are based on places and experiences in Peru, written in both English and Spanish, and provide a fascinating backdrop in preparation for a trip to Peru." (1-1-2009)

Monday, May 25, 2009

The Frozen Tongue ((A Very Short Story)(in English and Spanish))

The Frozen Tongue
((A Chick Evens, Episode, 1958, St. Paul, Minnesota)(a very short Story))



The sidewalk around the garage was scattered with broken, long and heavy ice icicles, once frozen onto the rim of the garage roof. I was but eleven-years old back then, back in the winter of 1958, and I had heard how cold metal or iron, would freeze a person’s tongue onto its surface, as quick as the clap of an eye. I was born with a curious nature indeed, and this was quite fascinating, yet to me unproven. So of all things, I put my tongue onto the door knob of the garage door, it must had been five below zero out. And it froze onto it, quicker than I could spit.
I started to pull, or try to pull away, but my tongue would not release from the metal knob, and so there I stood, like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, crouched down nearly on bended knees, praying my brother Mike, that he would come along soon and save the day (I needed no more proof, it worked).
As I remained in this position for eons it seemed, this raised the question, that surely my brother Mike would ask, “Why… would someone do something as silly as this?”
I mean it was harsh weather, a Minnesota winter is nothing to laugh about, for it is an enduring experience, each and every year.
I hadn’t the answer other than, ‘To see if it worked.’
When my brother did show up, he said, “Don’t you have better things to do,” a rhetorical question of course.
And I just prayed he’d hurry up, and go fetch some warm water, which he did, and pour it over my tongue, which he did, but instead of just my tongue, it went all over my face and mouth and then onto the knob, “Oh!” I cried “it’s free!” and that was that, and it was worth the additional wetness I had to bear—it just got a little messy that’s all.
My brother, Mike, who is two year older than I, looked at me with his intense eyes, carefully, “How long you been like that?” he questioned.
¨There came a mysterious pause from me, then a succession of “I don’t know (s).”
We both exchanged a humorous look, I think my face apologized mutely for taking up his time, and as he walked up those stone stairs, his back to me, on the path to our house, he laughed shaking his head, right to left (and in a like manner, I shook my shoulders up and down).


Written on the terrace roof, Lima, Peru 1-19-2009, Dedicated to Mike E. Siluk. •••


Spanish Version


La Lengua Congelada
((Un episodio de Chick Evens, 1958, San Pablo, Minnesota)(un cuento muy corto))



La acera alrededor del garaje estaba esparcida con carámbanos rotos, largos y pesados, de hielo una vez congelados al filo del techo del garaje. Yo tenía sólo once años de edad en ese entonces, allá en el invierno de 1958 y había oído cómo el metal o hierro frío congelaría la lengua de una persona en su superficie tan rápido como el parpadeo de un ojo y esto era bastante fascinante, pero todavía no probado por mi. Yo había nacido con una naturaleza curiosa de verdad. Por eso, puse mi lengua sobre la perilla de la puerta del garaje, afuera debió haber estado en quince grados centígrados bajo cero, y ésta se congeló sobre la perilla más rápido de que pudiera escupir.
Empecé a jalar, o traté de jalarla fuera, pero mi lengua no se soltaría de la perilla de metal, y por eso allí estuve, como el jorobado de Nuestra Señora, doblado hacia abajo con mis rodillas dobladas, rezando para que mi hermano Mike viniera pronto y me salvara el día (no necesitaba más pruebas, esto funcionaba).
Mientras permanecía en esta posición, que parecía una eternidad, una pregunta surgió, que seguramente mi hermano Mike preguntaría: “¿Por qué...alguien haría algo así de tonto?”
Quiero decir que era un clima duro, un invierno de Minnesota no es nada como para reírse, porque es una experiencia dura, todos los años.
No tenía otra respuesta que: “para ver si funcionaba”.
Cuando mi hermano Mike apareció, él dijo: “¿No tienes mejores cosas que hacer?” una pregunta retórica por supuesto.
Y yo sólo rezaba para que él se apurara, y echara agua tibia sobre mi lengua, lo que él lo hizo, y me echó agua sobre mi lengua, y no sólo en mi lengua sino en toda mi cara y boca y luego en la perilla, “Ah” grité “está libre” y esto fue todo; valió la pena la mojada adicional que tuve que soportar—solamente estuvo un poco desordenado, eso es todo.
Mi hermano Mike, quien es dos años mayor que yo, me miró con sus intensos ojos, cuidadosamente, “¿Cuánto tiempo has estado así?” él preguntó.
Allí vino una pausa misteriosa por mi, luego una sucesión de “no lo se…”
Ambos intercambiamos una mirada graciosa, creo que mi cara se disculpaba silenciosamente por ocupar su tiempo, y mientras él subía esas gradas de piedra de espaldas hacia mi, en el camino a nuestra casa, él se rió moviendo su cabeza a la derecha e izquierda (de la misma forma, yo moví mis hombros arriba y abajo)

Escrito en la azotea de mi casa en Lima, Perú 19 de Enero del 2009, Dedicado a Mike E. Siluk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home